Monday, February 11, 2008

Text Scammers

I just received a text message from +639063762647

This is exactly what it says:

“Notice From: D’Auditors of The PGMA. Charity Foundation inform u dat ur Cp no# Won Php.950.000 last, 2 . 11 . 2008 Pls!Call me n0w IM ATTY.VENUS A.AYALA,”

This is obviously a text scam. I didn’t even bother to reply but I did ‘Google’ the alleged attorney’s name. This confirmed my gut feeling that it was a scam. There were at least 3 top sites that had a forum regarding these modern nuisances. The 'PGMA Charity Foundation" keeps on using different numbers and different names for their fallible Attorneys.

How did I know that it was a scam?
1)   I never joined or entered any foundation or raffle so how can I even win? It's just too good to be true.

2) If you have really won from a legal raffle or foundation the number informing you of your winnings, then it would be coming from something like 2870 or 2868 (obviously I’m a Globe subscriber) business numbers for automated results. It won’t be coming from another SIM card number which is ideally for private use.

3) Why would you even call when the price you won is just P950. Though I know that the price was intended to be 950,000 PhP it was punctuated with a period therefore cutting the three other zeros.

Now if that is legal, no machine would commit such a typographical error because it would be detrimental to the sponsor’s reputation.

4) Read the message, it is poorly written and it's completely hilarious.
Beware of these text scammers, with the affordability of sim cards they easily change numbers.

For scammers remember one thing, “Rule of Karma.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.